Getting to and from your everyday destinations is an important part of your daily life. While many people opt for a car, living in Comox Valley houses for sale provides a host of other transit options…
Comox Valley Moving Checklist
Comox Valley Moving Checklist
Start early; if you don’t already have a moving company in mind, do some research or ask for recommendations. Movers can come in and do an estimate before you commit to their services.
TIP: weekends and holiday weekends tend to be the busiest, so if you are able to move during the week, you may even get a discounted rate!
1 Month Before
- Eliminate items you no longer use/want – have a garage sale or make donations to local charitable organizations. Why pay to move it when you don’t need or want it?
- Start getting boxes, tape, bubble wrap, etc… anything you will need to pack up, and make notes of what may need special attention.
- Obtain change of address cards to contact any of your regular mail senders.
- Obtain medical and dental records as well as children’s immunizations if moving out of the area
- Arrange for your children’s school records to be transferred to their new school.
- Make travel plans and reservations.
- Use up food supplies.
- Dispose of hazardous goods.
2 – 4 Weeks Before
- Start packing and begin with items in your home you do NOT use on a regular basis.
- Be sure to clearly label or number your boxes to make unpacking and finding items easier.
- As you pack, make notes of items of significant value (LCD/plasma TVs, stereos, computers, etc.) as you may need to declare items of value if they are lost or damaged during the move.
- Look to change some important information online.
- Go to your local post office to fill out a change of address form with your new address.
- Don’t forget to contact the following places to notify change of address: banks, cable/phone providers, insurance companies, utility companies, credit card companies, doctor/dentist/vet offices, investment companies, etc.
Are you looking for your dream home in the Comox Valley?
Click the button below to view all of our listings in the Comox Valley, and take the next step to purchasing your dream home.
1 Week Before
- Confirm your reservations with your movers or truck company if you haven’t already done so.
- If required, cancel or transfer your newspaper delivery service.
- Finish all of your packing.
- Have your car serviced if driving a long distance.
- Close charge accounts.
- Arrange shipment of pets if necessary.
- Arrange utility service disconnects (disconnect after moving day and connect prior to or on delivery day).
A Few Days Before
- Reconfirm arrival time of your movers and make sure they know exactly where they are going and have your mobile number just in case.
- Start dismantling furniture if you are moving yourself.
- Pack a travel bag with items you may need on moving day such as toothbrushes, clothes, medications, toiletries, etc.
- Set aside items to take in the car, including jewelry and passports.
- Make a note of all utility meter readings (both at the old home and the new home).
- Be there when the truck is being loaded and unloaded just in case your movers have questions.
- Before the movers leave, check your belongings and make a note on their paperwork and yours if there are any damaged items.
Thinking about making the move to the Comox Valley?
If you’re thinking about moving to our amazing area of the island, contact us today for more information and what to do next.